Thursday, August 6, 2015

range of emotions

Some things about this project have been super exciting. Other things have been a wee bit stressful. On that note, let's talk ranges. When it came to picking out a range for the kitchen, I did a TON of research. I love to cook, and I do a lot of baking in particular. I knew I wanted ("needed") at least two ovens, so there really were a lot of options to consider. I also love to cook with gas so I knew I wanted dual fuel. Should I get one big 36" range and add a wall oven? Should I do a cooktop and two wall ovens? Should I do one really wide range with two ovens? Did I want both ovens to be the same size? What if they were asymmetrical? Would it drive me crazy? The chances are high. 

There is one particular range I have always had my eye on. It has been filed under the section in my head labeled: "Things I WILL Own One Day Even If I Have To Sell A Vital Internal Organ." Breaking news: I ordered it. The One. I could not be more excited about it or more in love with it. It is physically impossible to be more excited about it. I have envisioned our meeting day for many, many years. I have thought about what I might wear for our first meeting, how I would do my hair. And you think I'm kidding. 

Well I had dreamed and dreamed about it, and then someone came along and tried to sabotage that glorious moment. A few weeks ago, my contractor happened to be in the store from where I had ordered it. He said he saw my range. On the show floor. He described it. It was the wrong color. You cannot be serious.





I don't think you could imagine the level of anxiety I was experiencing. I did not sleep that night. Unfortunately, it wasn't something as easy to fix as if I bought the wrong type of almond milk. This beauty had been on a boat across the Atlantic for the past few weeks. I ordered it months ago. Not cool. Ain't nobody got time to wait another 4 months for a different range. So I called the rep I worked with to order it. He said it was definitely not my range, and it was one the store had actually just finally gotten in after ordering it to have as a floor model months ago. My ugly cry face just went to a weird 'I don't know what to do next' face. 





I was still worried for some reason my range was going to be wrong. I was wigging out. But the rep ensured me all was golden, and it would be here the next week. I was still kind of having that awkward 'I'm not crying but I'm also not really breathing' face. 
This range is like my child. I am spazzing out here. 



And then a category 16 hurricane came in and wrecked my life. I got an email from my rep. Subject Line: "Good News and Bad News." The range had arrived. They had to refuse the shipment. It was DAMAGED. 




Why do I feel like I am dying a slow and painful death here?? Why is the universe out to get me?? PS--You said good news and bad news? Even if you told me you were joking, NONE of this is good news. I need hospitalization. 
MAYDAY.



His good news was that the company was taking care of it and had already shipped a replacement. Excuse me while I go drown in my own tears.The stress is too much. I think I just needed some alone time. 



Then my beauty arrived. Enter euphoria!




I will spare you the pictures of our special meeting, as it was a very intimate moment, but for now, you can just feast your eyes on this small preview. Oh happy day!



And if all goes as planned when we unpack its little wooden crate, hopefully it will have a strong resemblance to something along these lines:


No comments:

Post a Comment