Tuesday, July 7, 2015

part deux

Annnnnd I am still talking about faucets. 

I really did try to consider other peoples' opinions regarding brass faucets in the kitchen, but what it boils down to, is that my feelings are just stronger. And more important. And right. 

This has always been one of my favorites and goes to show you don't have to spend a mortgage payment to get a handsome little faucet. I went back to this picture several times when I was wavering on whether or not to go brass, and each time after I looked at this pic I was unequivocally convinced. Brass for the win.

via Comfy Cozy Couture



Sadly for me, when it was time to pull the trigger, this faucet (in brass) had since gone out of production. So I had to go back into the wild to find my keep. 

In the meantime, I had confused myself further into oblivion with an intense internal debate about bridge style faucets. To bridge or not to bridge. That was the question. 

Also of note: No one wants to sell you a faucet unless it has a pull down spray. So many people tried to convince me that I was an idiot if I wanted anything other than a pull down spray faucet. Clearly they had no idea the stubbornness they were up against. Guess who won that battle...

The struggle is real out there to find a moderately priced brass bridge style faucet that also comes with a side spray. With no plastic. And also in a shade of brass I could love. Finding just the right shade of brass really is a challenge. I am sure most of you would like to go ahead and file that under: problems no one has cared about ever. But not so quick--I am not the only one. This pressing issue has been discussed one more than one occasion. Here and here. And I am sure countless other times. 

Some are too shiny, some are too dull, some are too orange-y, and some are just wrong. Apparently, you can get a faucet plated to the shade of your choosing. I am obviously way in over my head. Remind me to do that in all of ample my free time. Right after I alphabetize my cleaning supplies.

Knowing that Waterworks fixtures are amazing and they have so many finish options to choose from, naturally, I gravitated there. This honestly felt like true love. I can't even find a photo of the faucet in the finish I wanted, but it is so good, you have to just see it. 

Waterworks



Ok she is beautiful, right? Well she should also be illegal. This put me at a point where the ONE fixture I wanted was actually more than the entire plumbing allowance. Meaning I had negative $487 to spend on a pot filler, another faucet, a kitchen sink and a bar sink. Perfect. 

Being the impatient, impulsive, and instant gratification seeking person that I am, I went ahead and ordered a different faucet online without ever seeing it in person or talking to a soul that has ever purchased anything from the particular manufacturer. I also think I probably ordered it in a finish I will hate. Apparently you can strip lacquer off by using paint thinner. I don't know if I am brave enough to even try. 

Am I also going to regret getting a faucet with double handles? When the hands free (no touch) faucet came out, I was its biggest fan. I cook A LOT and my hands are always covered in something. Is it going to drive me crazy having to use dainty little knobs to turn on the water? How did I get so in over my head when all I wanted to do was pick out a simple tap? Ahh the agony. 

Prepare for a super depressing update about 6 months from now when my house has flooded due to a faulty valve in my impulse buy. Whatever, it is too late now. So who can blame me for pulling the trigger. I did what I had to do to save my family sanity.

I'd like to at least end on a high note here. Let's just take a moment to notice how lovely the brass fixtures are in the Marlton Hotel. I don't even care if I am too big to fit in their tiny rooms. It is worth it for the details in that piece!
  





No comments:

Post a Comment