Tuesday, July 28, 2015

no beams about it

One of the struggles of this project has been taking down a wall and finding a way to reconcile the new opening with the ceiling heights. In a normal world it wouldn't be that difficult, but I am dealing with a geriatric of a house that was not all built at the same time. The ceiling height in the back hallway is a good two feet below the ceiling in the middle hall because it was an addition added after the original structure was completed. And, the ceiling in the kitchen was probably a foot below that, but we didn't know for sure it was a dropped ceiling until we knocked a hole in the ceiling. I have always LOVED exposed beams, and really wanted to incorporate them in our kitchen. Since the ceilings are now 12' I thought it would also help to add some interest to all that space up thurr. Finding a way for it to work with the different ceiling heights though, has presented its own challenges. 

I knew we would likely need a new structural beam anyway with the removal of the wall, so I wanted to add back as much character as possible. To take out that wall, we had to bid farewell to a transom, which was pretty devastating for Jack. Even though it has absolutely zero functionality, he of course saved it in hopes we can add it above another door that doesn't already have a transom. This is along the lines of what I had envisioned...

via Hooked on Houses

When we took out the wall, we did find out we needed to add a support beam. I was kind of excited thinking of the possibilities. I was hoping for some hipster chic rustic looking beam, but this is what we got instead. Screw practicality.





Please notice the difference in ceiling heights from the third picture. It is like a fun house. Except people live here. And we don't travel around setting up at State Fairs.

Clearly, we can't leave that beam exposed, so I began my search for the perfect ceiling/beam solution. 

Where do I sign up for this next situation? Perfection.

Jessica Helgerson Interior Design

That girl, Jessica Helgerson, can do no wrong. Remember her from here? Jessica, if you're out there, I want to be your BFF. You are everything.

Ceiling beams + La Cornue. Be still my heart.
via Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles

Jill Sharp


This next picture served triple, maybe quadruple duty for me, or whatever comes after that. I used it for inspiration for brass hardware, butcher block counter tops, ceiling beams, open shelving, navy cabinetry for the bar, the list goes on. and on.

Blair Harris Interior Design

L. Kae Interiors


So many unreal options, so little time (and money) at this point. I was really hoping my dad would have some old beams I could use out of a dilapidated farm house on one of his farms, but so far, I don't think I am going to be that lucky.

However, after I had already typed up this post, and in a rare stroke of good luck, my brother in law recently informed me that he might be able to come through for me! He has a weathered and worn beam that he reclaimed from his family's old farmhouse, and he and my sister used some of the wood for a mantle in their new house. He has one beam left over that they weren't planning to use. I think the tides might be turning for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment