Saturday, June 20, 2015

the little things

Do you know what it is like to come home from a long day and feel like the hands down best thing that happened to you all week is that you got some sheet rock? Well I do. And it is amazing. And I also think that may be what is called rock bottom and it can only go up from here.

Not sure if any of you have been following the weather, so if not, let me fill you in.
It. Is. Hot. H. O. T. HOT. Chaud. Caliente. HOT.



We are currently plugging through week 5 of the renovation, so our kitchen has looked like a bomb shelter for a full 5 weeks. And the rest of our house has felt like what I imagine the inside of a bomb shelter that is on fire would feel like. I kid you not, it has to be 95+ degrees upstairs. Downstairs was a balmy 80 degrees every night this week. Perfect flannel pajama pants kind of nights. 

Back to why I am so excited about sheet rock...Since the kitchen was taken down to the studs (almost 5 weeks ago), it has been like bringing the outside in. I can honestly see, hear, feel, and smell the outside from inside my shell of a house. When a bird chirps outside, it sounds like it is on my shoulder. When a fire truck goes by, it sounds like it is in my brain. Which also means I can without question directly feel the lovely effects of this tsunami of a heat wave we have had the past few weeks. The clapboard siding on our little Queen Anne isn't quite as flush as it probably once was. There are legitimate gaps in the siding where I can see the outside. Pardon the embarrassing quality of this next photo, but if you look at the bottom right near the mass of wire, you can see directly to the great outdoors. Old houses are charming like that. 



I failed to take a lot of pictures, which is weird because I can't imagine why I didn't want to remember this phenomenal stage forever. But all of the insulation in the kitchen was taken out a few weeks ago so we have been just straight up baking in here like an oven for the past few weeks.



And this week all of that changed. There is light. We have insulation. We have sheet rock.  Look at it in all its beauty. I kind of want to go roll around in the massive pile of junk in the middle of the floor I am so excited. 



Maybe now our HVAC won't explode. I don't think it has shut off in 13 days and cannot get below 80 degrees. Now, finally, it won't be pumping cold air directly into our neighbor's back yard. What what! 



The way the light is shining in that window is just short of heavenly. The angels are singing. 








Clearly it is all about the little things at this point in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment