Tuesday, June 2, 2015

You Light Up My Life

If you know me at all, or managed to follow my ramblings three years ago when I started this bit, first of all what are you doing with your life, and second, you know I love light fixtures! All of the lights! All of the lights! All of the expensive lights! Sean Paul, gimmie the lights. 

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I have been going through quite the saga due to the loss of the Gabby Morgan pendant. Quick reminder and ode to her beauty: 

As a coping mechanism, I tried to go ahead and move on, and find the quickest replacement. Let me introduce a decent rebound: 


Good enough, right? Wrong. And I was in too much of a stupor to even realize it until right before I pulled the trigger to order them. Maximum length: 39.5". Not even close to the length I needed. Total rebound. I asked about ordering an extra pendant to take apart just for the rods and Schoolhouse Electric advised they would never, under any circumstance, recommend that to anyone. Ok, maybe I'm crazy. Would it really be so bad if the pendants were hanging 104" above the floor? Ok, that is ridiculous. This is why people are designers for a living. Ain't nobody got time for this.  


I was crushed. Again. It really shouldn't have been that big of a deal, but I think the change in ceiling heights sent me over the edge. So then I decided to change directions entirely, and allow myself to really move on. Friends, meet the light fixture I wouldn't even mind gaining a few pounds just to have:

via Hudson Valley Lighting Alpine Pendant

Clocking in at a mere $1600 a pop, sure, why not? Sign me up for four. I then showed it to Jack just to try to make me snap out of it, and of course, he thinks it is the Gisele of light fixtures too. Then I told him the price, and he says I can order as many as I want as soon as I start making Gisele's salary. Hmphff. I would like to look at two last pictures so maybe I will see that it was never that great anyway...

via Design Manifest

That is just rude. Come on. 

So then it was back to trying to replicate Gabby. Here are a few decent options: 

Hudson Valley Concord Pendant

Long enough: check. 
Brass: check. 
Less than two grand: check. 
Clear globe: no check. 
I was going back and forth with the manufacturer about modifying the globe, and then I got bored and started to seek out other options.


Next up, a pendant that really needs no introduction. I am sure all of you have met her many times over. 


Circa Lighting Hicks Pendant

The Hicks pendant--it's a solid option, but I kind of feel like they are like farm to table restaurants at this point. They are everywhere. They are amazing, but everywhere. I looked at a few other similar options like the Restoration Warehouse Lambert Pendant in brass and the Reeves Pendant by Arteriors. Jack was never sold on them either, so it made it a little easier to pick up and move on again. 


Another old favorite, you may remember from here

Tom Dixon Copper Pendant

Then, I thought, what about Tom Dixon copper pendants? I've always been a huge fan, but I don't have any copper in the kitchen, and I'm a little paranoid about having so much brass already. Also, in my 12x12 kitchen (yes, not kidding, 12x12), the solid copper shade would chop up the view quite a bit. 


I've always been a big fan of an industrial light, but again with the chopping of the line of sight. I can't win. 

Hudson Valley Pelham Pendant




I know I said I didn't have any copper in the kitchen, but is it too late to change that? Total swoon. 

via Mix and Chic Blog


Then my dumb ass tries to go and really mix up things. I thought, what if I just did one linear style chandelier instead of two or three pendants? Maybe that will be less expensive? Worst idea ever in all of man kind. I remembered seeing a few of Lindsay Adelman's fixtures and loving them so thought i'd just price one on a whim. I am clearly in the wrong profession. $46k for a chandelier. Shut your mouth. I wonder if that includes Edison bulbs? And the house that it goes in? Jesus. Still pretty gorge though. 

via Lindsay Adelman


I found a comparable style light with a much different price point via Currey & Co.'s Shelly Chandelier, but I think the sticker shock of the earlier one just turned me off to the style. It was also too similar to two other chandeliers I already have. It appears I have a thing for brass, spikes, and clear globes. 


Currey & Company Shelly Chandelier



I could go all day on lights, but you guys clearly also have a life, and maybe a job or Instagram to get back to, so I will cut this short. I ended up going with the great people at Schoolhouse Electric and am doing somewhat of a custom order. The company is based in Portland and has great customer service and would pretty much work with all of my asinine requests. What's not to love? I chose the Rhodes pendant with a round clear glass globe. I will keep all of you eager beavers posted as soon as it arrives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment